Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WIP - When Planets Align

Today I am working on a new pillow design.  I fell in love with some charm squares I have and wanted to use some of the turquoise and green.

I took 8 of the 5 inch squares and pieced them into two 4 patch blocks.
The opposing blocks I just cut a piece of white with turquoise dots.
Once I had the blocks sewn together I did some machine quilting from corner to corner.  It is easier to do that before the applique goes down and then I don' t have to stop and start where the applique pieces are placed and it also gives a nice firm base to do the applique.




I cut some circles in various sizes.  I place the fabric circles in the center of a circle template.  I like to hand gather around the circle with a pearl cotton as it is stronger and won't break when I gather it around the template.






Then I spray a little starch and press with an iron to get a good crisp edge and remove the template.

The circles are all finished and I can now place them on my base fabric and hand applique them down.


I love to do hand quilting so I decided to use Aurifil size #12 to do some quilting around the circles.  I used color #2810 for the quilting. I went around the appliques plus I did some circle quilting in the opposing 4 patch squares.


Once my quilting is finished I am going to turn this into a pillow. I have chosen a striped fabric for the binding and have cut it on the bias so the stripes would run diagonal and be more interesting.

The backing will be the same turquoise dot that is in the front blocks.

I had so much fun working on this. I find the longer I quilt the more I love using the bright fabrics that are available now.  I still like the traditional darker colors, but I am tired of winter and needed to so some bright projects!

Should be posted in my shop today!  Till next time, God bless and happy quilting.

2 comments:

  1. Really pretty fabrics ... I love your hand work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and fabric! Nice hand work!!

    ReplyDelete